Friday, May 28, 2010

Missing The Obvious?

So, I'm not really following this oil leak story all that closely. I don't have to as its seems to follow everywhere I go to the saturation point.
Fine, whatever...

And lately I hear they are trying to plug the leak with mud.
Yeah, mud.

Aren't oceans water bodies held up with earth? So, we got a leak, under the water...
a leak surrounded by earth that is saturated with water. (What I've always called 'mud' since I was a kid).

Wasn't there mud there, where the hole is, before they drilled a hole in it?

Seems strange to me that it's taken 5 weeks for them to think of this mud filling idea?

5 comments:

tully said...

You're right, Gino. I mean, mud is mud, right? Common sense should come into play.

But, on the other hand: there's mud, and then there's MUD! Am I right?

Mrs. D said...

Gino,
Many years ago Mr. D and I lived in Chicago. There was a problem with a tunnel under the Chicago river and water was going into the tunnel and going through the tunnel into basements of prominent downtown buildings. Mayor Richie Daley (son of Richard) said that he had a solution to the problem - throw mattresses into the river and cover up or block the hole in the tunnel. Yes, seriously, this was something that was tried as a solution. When I heard about the BP issue I told Mr. D that maybe they should try mattresses.....

tully said...

雅伯, what do you know about oil spills, anyway. Just go back to your "show-lives" and "sky-museums" and "aqualyngs" and stay away from this haven of intellectual discourse.

Gino said...

mrs d: the mud failed, so they just might try matresses next.

Bike Bubba said...

Both my granddad and step-granddad helped make that tunnel in Chicago--back in the 1930s. Phone folks who did that called themselves the "groundhog club."