Sunday, May 9, 2010

An Assignment, Should You Choose To Accept It

I thought I was going to see a standard issue Death Wish movie but nothing about this is standard issue.

And nowhere close at all to Jody Foster's "Chick Wish" of a couple years ago, so just put that one out of your head (I'm still wishing I could).

Check out the trailer: Acts Of Violence

I would especially like Brian, Amanda, and maybe even RW take a look-see sometime this week, and we can discuss my upcoming review.
Anybody else is free to see it too, of course, but this movie is more for the film buff, and not for everybody.

Very limited release, in the art house genre. You have to look for it. And in my opinion, be it ever so humble, this one needs some attention.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Duly noted. No info on when and where it will be shown in Seattle...the upcoming SIFF will be keeping screens pretty busy soon, but I will look for it.

Brian said...

According to the film's FB page, the only place it is currently playing outside of SoCal is Layton, UT. That's kind of random...

RW said...

Doesn't look like my kind of flick. Not enough violence.

Gino said...

RW: its called 'acts of violence' for a reason.

my name is Amanda said...

Thoughts about vigilante films: Sometimes a well-made film doesn't do it for me, if the film comes from a certain genre. Vigilante films - I usually enjoy them if there's an unrealistic element, like with Tarantino stuff, and superhero and comic book stuff. The violence sometimes turns my stomach, but I think the real problem is the self-righteousness of the main character. That *their* justice is so significant and individual, their attackers, or attackers of their loved ones, ought be personally executed rather than arrested. Probably overlaps with my feelings on capital punishment, as well as the fact that I disagree with the idea that justice = revenge. I think many people think of prison as revenge, to say nothing of vigilante film fantasy. (That doesn't mean I think people who love the films feel that way, just talking about ideas that are fostered by groups of people in our society.) For these reasons, I didn't have any interest in seeing "The Brave one." BUT, all this aside, I still love movies, and despite not actively seeking out some, sometimes I end up seeing something from a genre I don't necessarily follow, and am surprised. So I guess I will just wait to read your review of "Acts of Violence," Gino!