Saturday, July 10, 2010

Observations

My Chicago-based family has a bad habit of going to The Maker during the winter months. And since that seems to be the only time I get there I've seen plenty of snow and ice, if only periodically.

  • So, this means it's been 1978 since I've seen anything else. It was early September(another funeral), a very long time ago. I forgot all about the summer weather, which basically sucks from where I'm coming from. In the 80's, everyday, with rain... every day. Humid. Ugh! But it's still better than Florida, and greener than Georgia, Arkansas or Oklahoma.
  • All Chicago really needs is a Waffle House or two... preferable near the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates... which isn't near as awesome as the Cabela's in Rogers, Minnesota... and neither comes close to the Bass-Pro in Springfield, Missouri.
  • Illinois really needs to get a grip when it comes to speed limits. There ain't no damn good reason for the speed limit from Kankakee to Paducah to be 65mph. But it's strictly enforced. It must be a control issue on the part of the anal retents in Springfield.
  • Seriously, cops up and down the state need to just lay off and let the people drive. After spending my life on California roads, I probably couldn't make it there for very long, but I'll always have a love for the place.

In a break with tradition, I've got a week penciled in to visit this spring. The cousinery is demanding it. Hopefully, I'll get to see the sights for a change.

7 comments:

Mr. D said...

There ain't no damn good reason for the speed limit from Kankakee to Paducah to be 65mph. But it's strictly enforced. It must be a control issue on the part of the anal retents in Springfield.

It's a revenue issue. Speeding tickets are lucrative and the State of Illinois is broke, broke, broke, with many of the same issues as California but with less of the (potential) economic dynamism.

Good to know they're enforcing that, though, as we'll be passing through Illinois in a few weeks and will probably stop in Chicago for a few days after we get back from Ohio.

Gino said...

beware the state line. my dad says the cops were crowding the line, behind tress,etc when he crossed over from KY, which isnt so speed anal.

RW said...

I assure you, the perceived lack of waffle houses is merely a result of your living elsewhere too long. I can point to three within 5 miles of my house. I think it's just a matter of not having the database to hand.

As to our police and politics. What?

Bike Bubba said...

Chicago and Detroit are two of the only places I can think of where I speed up when I'm coming into city highways......except when the orange cones are out there.

Bike Bubba said...

1978....Gino, you've had no summers in Chi-Town since the Disco Demolition!

My take on Illinois; it's one of few states I know of where instead of "Welcome to" signs, you get "don't do this, fine $1000" signs to welcome you to the state, thankfully no longer with "Rod Blagojevich, governor" plastered over everything from the road signs to municipal buildings to the porta-potties used by highway workers.

my name is Amanda said...

That's an odd description of Arkansas. I was born there, and lived there until I was ten. It's quite green. Greener than the plains, for sure.

Gino said...

amanda: AR is green. no doubt, and i love the place. its just that IL is greener.