Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Water For Elephants

Not normally a movie I'd go see unless I was taking my Mom out for the day, which I was. And glad I did on both counts...

Told through the memories of Jacob Jankowski(Robert Pattinson), a depression-era Cornell veterinary student just days from graduation when tragedy strikes, leaving him without a family or a home. In desperation, he jumps a train out of town that just happens to be a circus train.

In short order, Jacob finds himself working for the circus, caring for the animals, and trying to score some love from Marlena (Reese Witherspoon), the star attraction and wife of August(Christoph Waltz), the cruel and brutal circus master.

Wonderfully told and beautifully produced, Water For Elephants believably transports the viewer back in time to the 1930's and into the tough and gritty life of circus performers. Solid performances by the entire cast leaves me with nothing negative to say but for the slow start at the beginning until the storytelling finally winds up and sucks you in.

A good 'date night' movie, this would be only the third time I've seen an audience applaud at the end of the show.
What's that tell you that I didn't already?

3 comments:

Brian said...

Is Waltz as good in this as he was in Inglorious Basterds?

RobertDWood said...

Yep, I'm dying for movies focused on extra-marital affairs.

Pass.

How did your mother like it?

Gino said...

Brian: very different role, and yes, he was very good.

PB: like they make any other kind??
Mom loved it. you should take Jenny.