Tuesday, November 3, 2009

True Fame Lasts

November 2nd is the Feast of All Souls, a day when we take a the extra time to especially remember, in prayer, those loved ones who have passed on before us. By "we", I mean we Catholics, but it's a good idea for the rest of you heretics to follow, as well.

Yesterday was a little busy, but today I took my daughter and mother to the cemetery to visit grandparents, most importantly, my sister Mary.
We did our thing, and afterwards I took my girl on a tour of some of the more interesting resting places. (Many Hollywood celebrities of the previous age reside in this place, Holy Cross Cemetery.)

She's aware of the Manson gang, and of late, that Roman Polanski jerk who's been in the news. So, I took her over to visit Sharon Tate (and her baby). Daughter was impressed.
Even more so after I pointed to Bing Crosby about ten yards away. (She's knows Bing: He was famous old guy the aged folks like who sang a Christmas song with David Bowie, yeah, he's cool)
She was less impressed with seeing Rita Hayworth across the walkway.

Right about then she sees a grave site decorated for Halloween, just a about six spaces down the row from Bing.
Being an older section of the cemetery, not many families visit or decorate these graves, so this one stood out as rather unusual.
Daughter walks over for a closer inspection, pauses a second, looks up and exclaims "Well, of course!"



I guess he still has his fans.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Probably more than a few Bauhaus fans visit that grave as well...

kr said...

Very cool ... an interesting graveyard.

I don't think we have any famous people graves ...