Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Milestone

Well, this morning I had my re-appointment to the aborted vocal cord procedure from a couple of weeks ago.
Luckily, I shouldn't have to go through this one again for some time. Doctor says this should last me a few years (similar to the previous vocal cord injection from last spring, that wasn't quite as thorough of a fix).

This procedure was a little more involved.

First, he numbed up my nostrils, and then the inside of my mouth, vocal cords, larynx... basically everything from the base of my tongue down to the entrance of my lungs. Eventually, the juice set in, and I stopped gagging on the utensils he was ramming down my throat, all the while I was holding my tongue (because a third hand was needed: mine).

By this time I was already sweating and gurgling. I was able to take a restful break while he shoved needles into my Adam's Apple from the outside. Yeah, another passel of 'ouches' on that one...

Wouldn't it be less painful if they could numb you up before they shoved the numbing juice needles in you? Maybe the researchers can work on that...

Now, sufficiently numbed, a camera was shoved down one nostril, and I got to see my vocal cords displayed on the screen in front of me. This part was cool.

The doctor then proceeded to jab a series of needles into my Adams Apple, through to the paralyzed cord, applying a number of injections til he got the result he wanted.

It only took about 45 minutes, but seemed a lot longer.

I could sense immediate improvement in my voice, but was advised to keep quiet, and take it easy for the rest of day. Had to allow for some healing time. No problem there. I was too sore anyway.

I now have full contact between the vocal cords, giving me a real voice, one beyond a whisper, for the first time in a year. And been making up for lost time the past few hours.

Watch out, world.
I'm back!

5 comments:

Brian said...

I think mucous membranes are more easily numbed prior to injection (think like at the dentist) than anything covered in skin, because of absorption.

Glad to hear the procedure worked. You'll be singing in no time...

Unknown said...

Wonderful news!

But I have a question: is it as hard for you to literally hold your tongue as it is to figuratively hold it? ;)

kr said...

:)! Congrats :)!

Anonymous said...

Yay Gino!!!

squeaky

Gino said...

allan: it's hard both ways.