Thursday, November 5, 2009

Holy Cocoa!


Chocolate embedded with good intentions? Some folks are actually buying this.
Intentional Chocolate, founded in 2007 by chocolatier Jim Walsh, uses a special recording device to capture the electromagnetic brain waves of meditating Tibetan monks; Walsh then exposes his confections to the recording for five days per batch.
Sounds like New Age hippie bullshit to me...
...subjects who ate Intentional Chocolate improved their mood 67% compared with people who ate regular chocolate.
Well, of course. And I'm damn sure that people who eat Godiva chocolate normally feel better and happier than those who eat Hersheys.
And you know what? I'm even willing to bet that anybody who spends $60/lb, or more for boutique chocolates is loath to admit otherwise.

This is all bullshit to me, and to prove it...
I'll meditate over a bag of brussels sprouts and see if the six year old next door is happy to eat them.

7 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

ok, that's damn out there - and I suspect you're right about the placebo effect that $60/lb would produce!

kr said...

Ah, but Honored Teacher Gino, you do not meditate upon the correct Eternal Truths to produce peace in the mind of a six year old faced with eating brussels sprouts.

(Possibly because Eternal Truth rarely includes six year olds enjoying brussels sprouts ;). )

Woot!

Have you ever read up on the vibrations in water stuff? It's probably what this dude is basing his product off of, in a general way.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_emoto.htm

I think there is some validity to this whole thing, but then you know I am more willing to accept a variety of non-physical planes of reality (and flexibility of physical reality) than most people.

Dude--the Institute for Noetic Sciences did the 67% test??? well, no joke they will get a ridiculously high number, they are (if I recall correctly) an organization all about that sort of mind-openness, life after death, New Age, psychic abilities ... I used to read newsletters from them, some time back, I wish I could remember what their dealio was exactly ...

I like that one of the quick links from the article is to a video about bacon chocolate. Now THERE is a product that would overload the 'satisfaction' and 'happiness' channels of a human brain, from a purely physical (chemical) viewpoint ;).

tully said...

Did we some how manage to comodify, package and distribute the happiness of Tibetan Monks?

This stands as positive proof that under capitalism, everything is commodified. Becoming a Tibetan Monk was my last shot at escaping it, but here we are...

Gino said...

tully: you'd have to shave your back as well as your head. think your up to it?

tully said...

Ye Gods! And I thought it was just women who had a problem with my hairy back! Is there no mercy in this world for a hairy Italian?

Brian said...

I am heartened to hear this, for the reasons Tully points out. Surely it represents the triumph of crass, rational capitalism over mushy-headed spiritual nonsense. Even if the purveyors themselves do not realize it.

Materialismus uber alles!

tully said...

YOU CAPITALIST DASTARD!!!!