Sunday, November 8, 2009

IHOP

When I bought this house last summer, the presence of an International House Of Pancakes just down the road, though not a deciding factor, was definately accepted as a added bonus.
Though IHOP has been one of my favorite places to eat for years, I've yet to venture into their dinner/lunch menu. It's all about breakfast for me. Specifically, the pancakes.
Any time of day, though I'm rarly found inside of one during the morning hours. I prefer the less crowded dinner time hours.
That's right: breakfast for dinner. What's wrong with it?

It's hard to screw up eggs and hashbrowns, though some places do manage it. But IHOP can be counted on to do a pretty reliable of job of not screwing up eggs and hashbrowns.

Their signature item, pancakes, though not All That on their own, are fully capable of being dressed up. And this is what brings me there. They flip a passable flap jack that can then be worked into a thing of delectable, mouth watering beauty.

Due to the unfortunate personal issues, I have been IHOP-free for most of the year. But I am roaring back again. I been to IHOP three/four nights a week for the past three weeks. Life just keeps getting better, don't it?


Tonite's dinner: the standard 'pancake combo': two eggs, hash browns and sausage.
Portions are jewish, but whatta ya want for six bucks?



And the real reason I'm there: the seasonal special, Pumpkin Pancakes. These are awesome. Topped with whipped cream and dusted with cinamon/nutmeg, it's a lot like eating a slice of pumpkin pie, complete with a slight custardy mouth feel that clings to the palate. (click on the pic to see just how yummy this thing is)
You really do need to get you some before the season ends.

5 comments:

tully said...

The Harvest Grain N' Nut is my standby at IHOP, but I'd like to try these pumpkin pancakes.

Gino said...

grain n nut just doesnt have the appeal. i'm more towards the friut side. bluberry the most/

Bike Bubba said...

I cut some apples into my whole wheat pancakes this morning....and spent a lot less than $6 doing it! :^)

I've done pumpkin as well--replace some of the milk with pumpkin, add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar to cut the acidity, add a touch of baking powder as well. Yum.

Gino said...

but you had to do the dishes yourself, and go without hashbrowns,sausage and coffee.

Bike Bubba said...

Not without coffee!

Actually, I've learned (courtesy of the kind lady at "Breathing Grace") how to make sausage for cheap, too. If you've got a meat grinder, it comes out far better than most of what you get at the store.

And hashed browns are easy....