Friday, November 6, 2009

A Day At The Zoo

We spent Friday at the World Famous San Diego Zoo.
As zoos go, it's supposed to be among the best in the world, and it probably is, with all of it's open air exhibits, giant aviaries, natural settings and very few cages.
It also boasts something like 4,000 animals of over 900 different species. Impressive when you think about it, but rather boring and over-the-top in actual consumer interest.

What I'm saying is that after you've seen three large snakes, viewing the other fifty-two is a waste of time...

...and that so many multi-colored birds all start to look the same after the first half-dozen.

I'm sure that I'm not alone if I say that what I'd rather see is that big lion chasing one of those excess gazelles. Or, maybe a snake swallowing one of them colorful birds with the fancy name?
Now that would be entertaining.

Anyway, here's a souvenir for ya.
See the Giant Panda? Cute, huh?

12 comments:

Brian said...

I could watch the bonobos for hours.

kr said...

[rolls eyes at Brian]

I went to the San Diego Zoo (I'm pretty sure that was which zoo it was, anyhow) when I was three or four. Do they still have the elephant and camel rides? Probably not if they've gone the natural-exhibit route (I fully support the natural-exhibit route, if one is going to have zoos at all).

When you are little you never know what to appreciate ... I thought all zoos had elephant and camel rides, and someday I'd get another chance to ride the animal I didn't the first time (we rode the elephant) ... odd bit of emotion, to have hanging about since I was so small ...

You might like our zoo. We don't have enough money or space to be crazy huge/repetitious, except maybe in the number of monkeys+apes. (No bonobos, Brian.) I am in the middle of ethical/moral quandaries about keeping animals in display facilities, so I haven't been to see any of them for a while.

Gino said...

you'r right, kr.
we should release them all into the wild where they cant be readily studied, and then die earlier from some violent act at the hands of another.

my name is Amanda said...

Looooove the San Diego Zoo. Still sounds like you had a good time, Gino, despite there being too many animals! Got some great photos the last time I went. :)

kr, I know it's fiction, but have you ever read "Life of Pi?" There's an interesting argument that rationalizes the whole "animals in capitivity thing. (Although I haven't officially decided anything on the issue...still love the SD zoo though.)

Brian said...

I was serious about the bonobos. They're fascinating, and in a way that I will admit tests my ethical boundaries about keeping highly intelligent animals in captivity, as well.

Ditto the gorillas at Zoo Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

Haven't been there in years, but thought it way better than the National Zoo in DC. Gino, did you do the wild animal park as well or just the zoo? When we were there a gnu was in the process of giving birth. Was really cool to see how the rest of the herd reacted surrounding the mother during the birth etc.

squeaky

kr said...

Gino, I'm not going to get in the argument right now.

Brian: [relieved ;) ]

Gino said...

squeaky: havent ben to the WA Park in 20+ plus. maybe some day soon.

kr: what argument? i was affirming you.

brian: i think you gave me cause for a posting.

K-Rod said...

The SD Zoo is very nice, but I preferred Lion Country Safari. (it was about 30 years ago.)

Gino said...

lion country safari was cool... 30 yrs ago.
now it's just not there anymore.

kr said...

[rolls eyes at Gino]

;)

K-Rod said...

Bummer, but Gino, I really didn't NEED to know that. ;^)

So what good is California anymore?