Monday, July 27, 2009

How Was My Weekend?

I decided to buckle down this last week before I return to the mill. I've been spending most of my recovery painting the house, one room at a time, utilizing a very relaxed work ethic I've come close to perfecting. I think I now know what retirement is like, and I like it very much.

Yeah, I've been off for eleven months already. Time just kinda drags when you spend so much of it drooling on your pillow and beating off infections, but the last four have really zoomed right by.

My latest project: The Upstairs Bath.
When we bought the house, everything inside was solid eggshell white.
This room was no different. Devoid of color and style.
Drab.


After a solid coat of primer, I chose Behr "Ultra Pure White" for the top half. Very hard to work with, requiring about five coats to get the solid, pure white effect.

For the bottom, I used "Code Red", which utilized the same base.
Also, a bitch and half to work with. This one took about four coats to achieve the deep, solid color I was looking for.

Added a chair rail to bring it up to the 'next level'.


Advice: go ahead and invest the money for a power miter saw. Since it was a small job, I just picked up a miter box, and cut by hand. If I knew then what I know now...
But hey, I never done this before. I'm still learning.



Overall, I'm a little proud of it. And most importantly, The Wife is happy,too.
Now, I just gotta do something about that linoleum floor. And I'll probably "Pure Ultra White" that door, too.

6 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Nice work!! Love that red.

The color of that floor makes me dread knowing what the rest was like before...

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Oh yeah, mitre boxes are close to worthless. Congratulations to you for making it work.

Bike Bubba said...

I dunno about next to worthless, but a LOT more work than a compound mitre saw. I've got the Makita, which has a really cool feature; there is a thumb safety (like on a 1911 pistol) that prevents kids or other "unauthorized" people from using it. Yours are grown, I know, but that sold me on the Makita vs. the DeWalt.

Have fun with the house, and hearty congratulations on getting well enough to work again! (did I read that one right?)

Gino said...

PPT: thanks

Ben: after mitering, i had to use a wood file to finish the job, and then some putty, to make the edges fit tight.

bubba:ben's right. next to worthless. cant get a razor straight cut with it.
my first attempt at something other than just painting, and practice for the crown molding i've got planned for elsewhere.
for that, i'm buying a powersaw.

Jade said...

The previous owners of our house put a stick-down type tile over the old ugly linoleum. It works pretty well, took me a while to realize that's what they put down.

In my laundry room, I covered the old linoleum floor with flor carpet tiles (flor.com) I got a good deal on them because I didn't need very many and could buy the last of an expired pattern. But that's only good if you want carpet in the bathroom

Anonymous said...

I love that red!