Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Exposed

Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study:
The short: a variety of food textures are mixed/coated with barium sulfate, and swallowed while a radiologist records a video x-ray of the mouth and throat.
In my case, it was thin liquids and graham crackers.
Just so you know: barium tastes much like chalk. Yucky

The x-ray reveals the passage of the foods and liquids as they make their journey down to the esophagus. It identifies any bottle necks or aspiration problems.

In this video, I was instructed to alter my head position, tuck chin, hold breath, etc... to provide various angles of observation.

The barium shows up black on the x-ray, and you see where stuff is getting hung up by it's residual appearance after a swallow.
(Apparently, dental crowns are also made of barium.)

Personally, I think its kinda freaky cool to watch, so I now share it with you.

No comments: