Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Icons, Like It Or Not

To a more discriminating musical pallet (and I certainly do not lay claim to that), it is hard to believe that what was mainly shock rock in the seventies has been able to endure as long as it has.

Musically,Kiss just wasn't that good, but they were good enough to get done what needed getting done.

And what needed getting done was profits.
They were in it for the money, and as marketing geniuses, hyped themselves to the audience that was most likely to run out and buy shit with their tag on it.

Musically: so-so.
Business wise: state of the art.
They've set a standard for the music industry, and today, people are still buying their music. They still get airplay, and some of their big hits are still popular (Rock n Roll All Night; I Was Made For Loving You; etc.)

Personally, I've never made a single purchase. Not even as a kid who was easily impressed with the whole flashy, freakish show they made of themselves. I will admit though: they were fun to listen to, and still are.

That said, no discussion of Rock, Heavy Metal or The Seventies is complete without their inclusion.
And besides,as Brian pointed out, they did save Santa Claus.

7 comments:

kingdavid said...

I'm trying to visualize a person who's a KISS fan and a Trekkie dressing up to go to a convention immediately followed by a concert on the same day.

I don't think my imagination is wired for that level of weirdness.

Brian said...

KD--you just gave me my next Halloween costume! Thanks!

Gino said...

KD: now that you mention it, kiss fane have a lot in common with trekkies.
i never thought of that connection before.

brian: i assume you may be in both camps?

Jade said...

Gino - I have a friend who is a musician out of Nashville (had a couple of solo albums before the label he signed with went under - has since played guitar for some Big Names)... he loved Kiss for their music/lyrics as a teenager, and admires their marketing genius as an adult in the industry.

Brian said...

Actually, I am in neither, really. I just think a Klingon in Gene Simmons' makeup would be random and hilarious.

Tracy said...

I have Double Platinum on CD...may put it on now.

Guitarman said...

I really got into Kiss as a 16 - 17 year old back in the 70's. My CB radio handle was Black Diamond. As I grew a little older I realized the men don't bop women in ladies' rooms. At least not in my world. Tune into young dead elms to see a photo of an Ace Frehly (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) that got me an A in art class!