Saturday, January 2, 2010

This Year's Football Movie

In 2009, Michael Oher was drafted in the first round by the Baltimore Ravens, and starts for them at Left Tackle.
Prior to this monumental life event, he was living quite an eventful life as it was, and is chronicled in Blindside.

A familiar enough fairy-tale: poor black orphan is adopted into a rich, white family and given a shot at an education and a decent life. Somewhere in there, football becomes part of the equation, and the rest is NFL draft history.

Starring some familiar faces, including Sandra Bullock (this means no titty shots, sorry guys), who, of course, looks very alluring scene after scene, and those legs, my God... she keeps showing off those legs... Tim McGraw and Kathy Bates... and features appearances by several SEC and NCAA coaches.
But it's Bullock's character who runs away with the whole show.

Expecting another turkey, I was really surprised. It's a great movie. Heartwarming and sweet, without being over saccharinated and mushy. Lot's of comedy mixed in among the drama that never gets too dramatic. It's balanced well.

There's no academy award winners here, but if you want to see a 'feelgood', this will do. And some of the scenes, as well as the story, are memorable to say the least.

I recommend it, and may even buy the DVD when it comes out.

7 comments:

tully said...

Eww! Football Movie! When are they gonna take Emilio Estevez out of mothballs and make another Mighty Ducks movie? Hockey Movies are starting to look underrated!

tully said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jade said...

:) I rarely watch actual football, but I almost always love football movies, and I'm a fan of Sandra Bullock so I'll have to check this out.

Brian said...

Really? It looked bloody awful from the previews I saw. And I'm a sucker for football movies. OK, I'll give it a whirl on DVD.

Gino said...

the previews i saw sucked,too.

Mrs. D said...

Gino,

You are a renaissance man! First restaurant reviews and now movie reviews. I can't wait to see what you review next!

Gino said...

been doing movies for a long time,though.
always will.