Monday, September 21, 2009

From Bad To Worse?

I underwent the gamma knife procedure in, what... February was it? As part of the follow-up and monitoring I was to have an MRI every three months for the first year, followed by one MRI every twelve months... forever.

I never got that first 'three-month' MRI. Having to do with the insurance provider dragging it's feet with approval, combined with lack of openings at their network MRI provider.
Part of the hassle is my requirement to be put to sleep for the procedure. They hate that, as it costs a lot of extra money. But anybody who's had to lay through an MRI can understand why, when my brain is the target, heavy sleep-style sedation would be a necessity. (For those who haven't: place your head in a five-gallon bucket full of foam, and lay perfectly still while strapped to a wooden bench for about 90 minutes. And don't you dare fidget!)

By the time I'd actually had my 'three-month' MRI, it had been six months.

Today, the doctor's office called to re-schedule a follow-up visit (following up on the 'three-month' MRI that was three months late.) I can't see him without prior-approval either, and they just got around to approving it.
The next opening is ...
you ready for this...
November 13th.

And they are working on getting my 'nine-month' MRI scheduled for November 30th. Reasonably on target this time, IF everything works according to plan. Sayeth the office: still waiting for approval to schedule the next MRI, but they've reserved that date in hopes that it will happen. Approval request has been submitted, and re-submitted, and re-submitted... every week since the last MRI. Expecting a non-rejection any week now.

But, the next office visit opening (post next MRI) is December 14th. Would you like to reserve that spot? (pending approval for said office visit, of course).

I possess, because I've paid for it, what some of these politicians might be referring to when they deride "Cadillac Health Plans". Generally, I have a better package of coverage than the receptionists (health care workers) who manage my case. I know this because they tell me so. You can see that I'm not some piker with a poor man's package of left overs.

Now here's the rub:

The talking heads say ObamaCare will leave us in a Canadian-style health care system, with six-month waits to get an MRI, months-long waits to see your doctor, rationing of services, rising tidewaters, swarms of locusts, piss-water beer and dead kittens.
It appears we are half-way there already.

3 comments:

VLW said...

The problem with health care is not health care. It's the insurance companies. No interstate competition. They hide under a myriad of complex legislation. No indication of what things cost. And, it's not really insurance -- just a discount plan.

I pay cash for all of my medical procedures and do a lot of preventitve and holistic. It sucks and it leaves me on the financial brink at times, but at least I get seen right away, since I can go off network. I never have to wait for anything. That's why the idea of being fined for this "horrible" lack of insurance terrifies me. Insurance-free since 1998 and never going back. Hopefully.

Mrs. D said...

Hi Gino,

I understand exactly what you are going through. We have had similar experiences at our house. It is very frustrating and time consuming. I do not think that Obama's plan will help matters at all.

Have a good weekend!!

Mrs. D

lumberjack said...

Part of the problem is people getting MRI's because the doctor is afraid of missing a one-in-a-thousand chance problem. (and the subsequent lawsuit) The scheduling of those things is ridiculous.

Though it's no doubt nice for the people with a one-in-a-thousand chance problem. I'm almost happy to have a pacemaker and be exempt from that kind of magnetism.