Thursday, August 6, 2009

Back To Work, For Reals

Finally, late yesterday I got the call to return to work. Guess I had clean pee,huh?

Began the day with a rehash of safety videos. Typically, when somebody has been out for an extended period, the company forces him to sleep sit through a safety refresher course. No big deal.
Comfy chair in an clean, quiet, air conditioned room? I'll take it.

With about two hours left in the day, I was released to 'return to work'. Not that I actually worked,though. Basically, for two hours I shadowed my position replacement, under instruction to do very little until I get re-acquainted with the system that I helped launch in the first place.

Tomorrow, I get to 'shadow' again while I finish out the week.

The best part: I am the senior man in this position, of which only one position exists. I was scheduled to return at the beginning of the week, the date of my doctor's release.
Therefore, all hours worked in this position, all week long, were my contractual right, so I will be paid for the full week, plus the overtime my replacement put in.

Too cool,huh?

Next week I'll have to earn my money.
(And get used to the feel of work boots after eleven months of wearing slippers)

I want to personally thank every single one of you for all of your support throughout the past year, but that would take a lot of typing and posting.
Just know that it has meant a lot to me, in measures and ways that words fail, and on a level that I can never forget.

God bless you all.
(yeah, even you.)

On a downer note: a few months ago, one of my co-workers was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. He's going through a big Hell right now. Be grateful for life's every blessing, because no matter what you got, there is always somebody else who has it worse, and what we often take for granted can easily be taken away.

9 comments:

Jade said...

Congratulations on being well enough to go back to work :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! Gino is back to raising hell for money... I mean... congrats on the employment!

W.B. Picklesworth said...

This is very good. It must be quite a relief to be getting back at it.

Robi1 said...

Good luck, buddy!

Mr. D said...

Congrats, Gino. And thanks also for the cautionary note at the end. It's good to keep things like that in perspective, even though we'd prefer not to.

Mrs. D said...

Amen.

Gino said...

thanks, all.

after today's full day, my legs hurt.

guess is didnt do as much get-in-shape walking as i thought i did.
:(

other than that, alls good.

kingdavid said...

So Gino, with all the talk of healthcare, what's your take on how well your company plan took care of you over this period?

I know how well our family has done. We've had multiple medical issues and major surgeries over the years for Katherine and both kids, and thank God our heads are still above water.

lumberjack said...

Hey, late congrats on the milestone. No matter how much we complain about work, we sure miss it when we aren't allowed to do it for a bit.

I guess the first days will be hard but you'll get back in the groove soon enough.