Friday, February 6, 2009

The Past Is Past, Moving Forward

I've mentioned the weight loss, and I'm now down to 170lbs. That's 38lbs shed in three months, and was enough to alarm the nutritionist to the point of changing my prescription to a higher calorie formula.

Supposedly, this new formula is also supposed to taste better. That would be a welcome improvement, and it should be delivered today sometime.
These decisions were actually finalized over a week ago, but the insurance always drags it feet on everything because, well, because that what stubborn bastards do.

They haven't figured it out yet that if my nutritional needs continue to fall short, the repercussions will cost them a whole lot more in further medical treatments.

Some more changes:
There's not much 'recovery' going on anymore. I'm about as recuperated from the whole ordeal as I'm going get.
Now, I've declared myself to be in the Restoration Phase. I've got to get my body back into physical condition again.
All this recuperating and too fast weight loss have left me skinny thin, and I've lost whatever muscle tone I used to have. When my throat heals up (not for several more months,or much longer) I need to be able to do the physical work my job expects of me. With this in mind, I've begun a not very strict exercise regimen. Eventually, I'll get myself back to normal, but even better than that because I'll be many pounds lighter.

Yesterday, I had my first visit with a speech therapist. For the next several months, she'll be helping me to restore my voice to it's former glory. Right now, my speech is still soft, raspy, and difficult to comprehend.

In two weeks, I get to spend another exciting day with my neurosurgeon. Unlike last time, I'll be awake for this one as I go through the Gamma Knife treatment. More on that later.

4 comments:

lumberjack said...

Well, here's wishing you a speedy restoration then.

I think even light dumbbells work if you constantly work them. I once had to bring one arm back from shriveled, so I'd watch Family Guy and do repetitions every time Peter had a flashback.

Gino said...

thanks, LJ.
no dumbbells, but i have resistance cables to play with while watching TV.

Jade said...

Resistance cables are wonderful things... Dan and I both had some versions of them for physical therapy

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Get ripped.