Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Wrong


WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense and congressional officials say news organizations will be allowed to photograph the homecomings of America's war dead under a new Pentagon policy.
The officials say Defense Secretary Robert Gates has decided to allow photos of flag-draped caskets at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, if the families of casualties agree.
(emphasis added)

I don't know what the hell they mean by "if the families agree", or how they intend to enforce such a thing when the photographers have already been invited.

That said, I disagree with allowing any photographers present at all. The return of our war dead should be dealt with solemnly and with utmost respect, and not be treated as a photo-op or a spectacle.

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Agreed. Those photographers disrespect the dead by attempting to manipulate people's emotions with their photos. It insults our intelligence to boot.

Jade said...

This is the reason I was never comfortable with photo journalism. I was rarely bold enough to ask people if I could take a photo of them, and if I didn't have permission, I wouldn't.

It always bothers me when opportunistic photographers act self righteous - spouting quotes like "I'm not doing anything illegal!" even after they've been asked to stop. It makes me want to trip them so they land on their cameras.

Unknown said...

If fighting and dying for your country is an honor (I believe it is) then coming home (with photographs) is an honor ceremony.

Photographs have been taken of our soldiers coffins (and dead bodies in the field) since the Civil War. Why change that tradition now?

If simply taking a picture worried the Bush administration that public opinion about the Iraq war would be more negative, then their principle to go to war must have been weak to start with.

Truth never weakens honest,real principles based on truth.