Saturday, April 25, 2009

Do You Realize...

just how strange must be the mindset of Oklahomans??

"Do You Realize??", by The Flaming Lips was announced as the official state rock song of Oklahoma, after winning an on-line vote among ten finalists as authorized by the Oklahoma state legislature.

Seriously? An official state rock song? Nice to know things in Oklahoma are going so well that the legislators actually have time for this.

Don't get me wrong, as I got no beef against Oklahoma, and in reality, not only did I have a pleasantly non-exciting time in that several hours I spent in a very small sliver of it, but I'd be willing to go back and do all over again whatever it was that pleasantly didn't excite me last time.
(Now, if I can only remember what it was that was so unforgettably non-exciting.)

But still, it's The Flaming Lips. Can't they do better than a just-decent-enough-for-radio song by a band that, though innovative and quirky, is sooo not really 'all that'?

Well, yes they can, but failed.
Here's the list of ten songs they had to choose from.

Personally, I'd have chosen "Oklahoma" by The Call. A much better song by a truly worthy band.
And the lyrics actually fit the topic:
Another hot Oklahoma night
The kind of night where you just sit still
The kind of night where you just dont move
We were shaking in our beds that night
We were shaking in our boots that night
Tornado hit and the roof gave way
Tornado hit and all we could do was pray


Oh,well.
It's their problem now.

1 comment:

Night Writer said...

I really like The Call as well, though "Oklahoma" isn't their best.

Btw, Hanson (who are from Oklahoma and still live there) do a great cover of "I've Never Been to Spain". I watched them in concert on DirectTV a couple of weeks ago and they are a very very good band. Most only know them for MMMbop, but they are way beyond that (and all grown up).