Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Die Is Cast

I engaged in further consultation with the second highest authority in the house.
We weighed the pros and cons.
After taking a walk around the neighborhood, and closely eyeballing everybody else's lawns, we noticed a few things.

Top of the few: at least a full half of the lawns had either bare spots, burn spots, or dead spots that were not readily visible from a cursory glance.
And most had a combination of all three.

Seems that sod idea of the builder wasn't a very good one for the long term.
And the weeds were not always kept at bay,either.

Bermuda grass will choke out the weeds pretty effectively, it will never die, and our winters are not as severe as they might be in Texas or other parts. Therefore, the dormancy period of brownness would be a shorter one.
Bermuda is not prone to bald spots, and requires less watering.

Another plus: Bermuda grass is native not to Bermuda, but to the dry Mediterranean region. And 'Mediterranean' is the archictectural style of this tract.
So, if anybody wants to pitch a bitch about my grass not conforming, I can just claim that I'm keeping it real.

The Bermuda stays.

5 comments:

Mr. D said...

I engaged in further consultation with the second highest authority in the house.You need to stop talking to yourself, Gino. ;)

You made the right decision. You can always change it later, but based on what I know, you're better off with the Bermuda anyway. And perhaps your neighbors will come your way.

Brian said...

Yeah, I think you are way better off. I'm trying to get fescue to fill in the dead spots in our yard, and it looks like our lawn has hair plugs. And this is North Carolina, which gets sun and rain in more or less equal measure (at least in this part of the year.)

Having a lawn is highly overrated, IMHO. I miss my AZ dirt yard.

RW said...

Yessss!

Gino said...

brian: i wanted the fescue cause the blades grow a nice lush green color. bermuda, less so.
but, like you said about the clumpimess (not a spelling error) of fescue, all that space tween the clumps dull the greenness.

'fresh sod' is the look i want, but looking around tells me it aint gonna happen, umless i use fresh sod, and replace it yearly.

mark: you dont replace bermuda without extreme difficulty and lots of sweat.

RW: you must have done this before?

RW said...

No, I just like TO WIN!! woo hoo!