Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Polygamy Is For Women

One of my fb friends had let out a screed the other night per Romney, polygamy, hatred for women, blah, blah, blah...
Yeah, well, she won't be voting for that guy....

I had a chuckle and scrolled on.

Several minutes later, still in chuckle mode... the topic in my head moved to more economically centered ideas...
  • A few thoughts: Polygamist societies generally run along the One Man With More-Than-One Woman Model. 
  • That really screws with the reported 53/47 ratio of favorability of Female vs Male live births.
  • This places a premium value on the mere existence of every single female.
  • Most any  Female, being highly valued based upon her gender alone, would have tremendous power over the standard/ typical Male of her society. 
  • She could get away with a myriad of minor offenses that would cause her gender counterpart (Standard/Typical Male) to be banished from the society.
  • Maybe even many less-minor offenses.
  • While only having to 'put out' every few days or longer...
  • Where their man would be required to service every night, somebody... (and yes, I'm pretty sure the girls probably talk among themselves...)
  • Not to mention doing so after a long, hard day of providing enough to satiate these multiple women in an earthly sense.
  • Doing it day after day,  year after year...
  • There'd better be lots of babies, too...
  • Babies that need support...
  • Along with all those Baby-Mama's.
  • Nagging, demanding,  conceiting Baby-mamas ...
  • (Who talk among themselves.)
  • They want more...
  • And more, still...
I'd be like: Prophet be damned... I'm outta here...
I'm sure of it...
Polygamy is actually a feminist, Man-hating idea.

8 comments:

RW said...

I'm pretty sure Governor Romney's part of the Mormon cult is the one that doesn't do polygamy. I'll bet your fb friend was just flailing around.

See what I did there? I always say people are flailing around when I really want to insult the piss out of them. :-)

Gino said...

facebook is full of flailing. i hate election years more and ore.

Night Writer said...

Epic flail.

Bike Bubba said...

It's worth noting that the closest polygamist relative of Romney was something like his great-great-uncle. Obama's father was a polygamist, though.

Not that this really affects my vote in either way. Regarding Mormonism, polygamy was repudiated for earthly living around 1893. Mormons say it was a revelation, cynics (that would be me) say it was to get Utah statehood. I believe that polygamy still plays a part in Mormon views of Heaven, though.

But as for me, the best comment here (that goes along with Gino's writing) is what Samuel Clemens said in Salt Lake when Mormons asked what Biblical evidence repudiated polygamy. His answer:

"Did not Jesus say, 'No man can serve two masters.'?"

In reality, polygamous societies are brutal; what does the harem keeper have to do to prevent his wives from going to other eligible men better able to "put out" for her? Answer; make them into harem eunuchs and send them off to war to rape someone else's women.

Brian said...

I think consenting adults should be able to make whatever marital/familial relationships they see fit. However, in practice, polygamy as a societal norm has many bad outcomes that have already been pointed out.

It works pretty well for gorillas, though.

RobertDWood said...

"I'm sure of it...
Polygamy is actually a feminist, Man-hating idea."

Indeed.

my name is Amanda said...

Yes, polygamist societies were horrifically brutal - for men! Because the harem keeper is burdened with the task of keeping other men's penises out of "his" women, and/or the chore of sending them off to another city-state for all their raping! Poor guys.

I do feel a bit of doubt that a polygamist husband would be particularly concerned about his wives' sexual pleasure. Many men in modern, "equal" relationships in our society STILL don't prioritize women's pleasure (Google it), so I'm tickled to think that a man who consider his wives to be "vaginas that he owns" would care so much about it.

As far as Feminism being about "man-hating," though? Oh, you are so right about that. Thank you for finally making me see what I am. Just a nasty ol' man-hater! My husband will be so sad to learn this. I hope my brother will still talk to me. Oops, I mean, no I don't! Since I hate him and ALL men!

*devious cackle*

K-Rod said...

"Many men in modern,..."

Well, Amanda, that may be your personal account of many men but don't lump me in that group... (IMHO there is nothing more beautiful than a woman climaxing)